Todd Sedano on Considerate Pairing
In this video, I interview Todd Sedano, Engineering Manager at Pivotal Software, former Director of Software Engineering at Carnegie Mellon, and extremely thoughtful pair programmer.
Todd has thought a lot about the people side of pairing, and brought a wonderful sense of compassion and vulnerability to this this interview. It’s very much worth a watch for improving the “soft skills” of pairing.
- Todd’s “one secret” about pairing.
- The beauty of “I can’t do it, but we can.”
- Why you might welcome interruptions when working as a pair.
- A good break cadence/length during sessions.
- Todd’s Considerate Pair Programming Technique Cards
- How to increase the odds that your pairing relationships stay healthy.
- The power of asking for feedback and sharing your vulnerabilities.
- How to pair within a power imbalance.
- Why Todd doesn’t love the driver/navigator metaphor.