Talking Pairing with Shopify’s VP Eng
In this video, I interview Farhan Thawar, VP of Engineering and fervent pair programmer at Shopify.
This discussion goes deep into pairing. Even intermediate and advanced folks are likely to get quite a bit from it.
- His experience managing 125 pairs of developers.
- Things you learn from pairing that aren’t just about code.
- How he defines pair programming.
- Why the more junior developer in a pair should usually drive.
- Pairing’s marketing problem.
- How pairing is like the underhanded free-throw in the NBA.
- His response to the “isn’t pairing is slower?” question.
- The downsides of pairing.
It’s hard to find someone with more pairing experience (or even just engineering management experience) than Farhan, so he’s a voice well worth listening to.